Saturday, April 15, 2006

Bicycles, GoKarts, Limbo, and the Dutch Invasion...

So its been relatively crazy in this part of the world for the past couple of weeks, mainly thanks to an invasion of dutch people (turned out to be 3 girls, 9 guys, and one helluva lotta grog). God those guys can drink.

We went Go Karting a week or so ago, which was great. My team came second, but it was totally close all the way. I'm told I was a reckless driver, and my Italian friend Roberto was totally disgusted that a girl kicked his ass :D So we got medals and everything, there was an awards ceremony, where we got to stand on a podium. Totally ridiculous, but lots of fun nevertheless. Was feeling sore as all hell the next day though, tell you what.

Earlier on this week a group of us went on a bike ride to the Gota Kanal, a little north of Linkoping. Took 45 minutes to get there, and oh my god it nearly killed me. This little black duck is just not cut out for bike riding, hehe. Can't say that I'm surprised to be honest, it was never really my thing. I have to say though, the Kanal/lake was really beautiful. It was still frozen, but with really mushy ice. Looked fantastic, and made for some interesting videos of the boys throwing rocks trying to break the harder ice further out. They didn't succeed.

We went to a corridoor party on tuesday night, which lead to an impromptu round of the limbo. I made it through about 4 stages, then unfortunately my socks gave way and i fell on my head. Lots of fun, but mental note for next time: Take off socks before participating in any limbo-related activities.

Finally, the Dutch Invasion. I walked into a room on wednesday night, filled with people playing an interactive computer/television game that closely resembled 'Who wants to be a millionaire'. Put into a team, I can safely say that it was the most confusing game I've ever come across - not helped by the fact that it was conducted in Dutch. I should mention that it is a drinking game, and that being bad at a drinking game very quickly equals lots of drunk people. Needless to say, the person who invented this game was clearly both an alcoholic and a masochist, as it contained components such as 'beer marathons' (one-on-one drinking showdown, beer by beer, last man standing wins a point for his/her team - which resulted in both of our contestants vomiting in the kitchen sink), and a highly competitive pitcher skulling competition. The next night we went to Bar and Kok (pronounced close to 'Shuk' for those cretins out there), a nice little nightspot which goes off on thursdays. We neglected to remember that they had go-go girls on this particular night, which resulted in us waiting in the line for an hour. This is one aspect of swedish life that i will not miss. Anyways, had a great night, and to cut a long story short, yours truly ended up dancing on the bar :o)

So, the Dutch Invasion have now deserted Linkoping for Stockholm, and I'm left here contemplating life, drinking coffee, and figuring out what I want to do when I go to Paris in May.

It is truly a hard life.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:47 am

    Hello my precious,

    Just wanted to drop you a quick line to say thankies for my postcard! I do love real mail :)
    Great job on the blog, it is indeedly highly entertaining to read all about your to-ing and fro-ing abroad. Keep up the good work!

    Much love xx

    ReplyDelete